Planning for a Little Extra Cheer This Year!
Between shopping lists, decorating, and celebrations to attend, the holidays can be a hectic time of year. While these festivities and extra time with loved ones can be fun, it can also be exhausting, which makes it extremely important to prioritize self-care this holiday season. Remember the quote “you can’t pour from an empty cup” because it really rings true here. It’s hard to spread holiday cheer without any cheer to give in the first place!
With that in mind, we’ve gathered up some of our best tips for putting YOU first so that you can then bring joy to others this holiday season.
- Schedule it! The best way to make sure you take some well-deserved you time is to schedule it like you would any other appointment. Whether this means physically adding it to your calendar or putting it at the top of your to-do list, set aside this time first so that you can plan everything else around it. When you have an appointment, you’re way more likely to keep it! The amount of time you need each day can also vary, sometimes it may only be a few minutes to meditate and set the tone for the day. Other times you may need a bit longer. The most important thing is to schedule what you need and stick to it!
- Find the type of self-care works best for you. This can change from day to day. Maybe it means going for a run, getting a massage, reading a book/watching your favorite show, or simply getting some quiet time. Whatever is going to leave you feeling happy and refreshed counts as quality “you-time”!
- Set the expectation. Let your family and/or friends know that you’re doing this and explain why, then encourage them to do the same. If needed, get with your partner, and decide when each of you will take alone time, that way you can cover for each other’s responsibilities during that time. Communication is key, and if everyone is on the same page you can all support each other in alone time that will make together time that much more special!
- Be in the moment. When you’re taking time for self-care, avoid distractions and take full advantage of the moment! Put your phone on sleep/focus mode to allow yourself to enjoy it. The more in the moment you are, the more fulfilled you will be by this time, even if it is only a few minutes. Then, when you are with your friends and family, focus on being fully present and in the moment with them, as well!
- Finally, have a plan! This is true for anything in life – “failing to plan is planning to fail”. Take time now, at the start of the season, to plan out the upcoming month. If you’re looking to stay on track with your runs and/or nutrition, plan out your workouts and meals. If you’re needing to get more relaxation and self-care time, add it to your calendar as mentioned above. Have a plan, communicate it, and put it into action!
At the end of the day, remember that your to-do list is going to get done regardless, but it’ll feel much more enjoyable if you’ve taken time to de-stress along the way. The happier you are, the happier those around you will be, so fill up your cup with happiness this holiday season! Take time for you so you can spread a little extra holiday cheer this year!