FALL in love with running again!
The summer months are behind us, kids are back in school, and fall is right around the corner! This is the time of year us runners dream of… the time of year where all the hot summer miles pay off! Here are some tips to hit the ground running this fall and find your love of running all over again!
- Take advantage of cool morning/evening temperatures! Whether you trained outdoors this summer or hit the treadmill, now is the time to get outside and take advantage of the cool morning or evening air! Even in Texas, you can still find reprieve from the heat at these times of day. If you were feeling frustrated with your pacing this summer, now is the time to experiment with faster paces. Fall is a welcomed breath of fresh air, so breathe easy and run strong as you enjoy the cooler times of day.
- Dress in layers. If you live here in Texas, you may be okay with your normal gear for the next few weeks, but good practice is to check the weather before you go and grab layers if needed. This is also a good time to invest in a lightweight rain jacket/windbreaker which may come in handy as temps continue to cool off. Whatever you wear, be sure it is something you can remove and tie around your waist or carry the rest of your run if you get too warm. Otherwise, consider leaving it at home!
- Stay hydrated! Even though the temperatures have cooled off, don’t ditch your water bottle. It will be even more important to have during the fall and winter months! In the summer months we are constantly reminded to take a sip of water due to the high heat! That said, when the weather cools off our body may sweat less or send less thirst- signals, so it is important to be aware of how much you’re drinking and take small sips throughout your run, as needed to prevent dehydration.
- Get racing. This is a great time of year to PR due to the cooler temperatures, so it is a great time to consider signing up for an in-person or virtual race! AMPT Running has 2 races this fall season, the first being the Murphy Half/10K/5K which is COMPLETELY VIRTUAL this year! Sign up and run any time – this could be a great opportunity to get back to it and practice for upcoming fall races. Then, check out the Toyota Music Factory Half/10K/5K on Sunday, November 14th (virtual options are available, as well)! This course is perfect for your next fall PR.
- Most importantly, HAVE FUN! Fall is marathon season for a reason! Perfect running weather is the best time to start running again, train for something new, or work on improving your speed. Hit the pavement and remember why you started running in the first place. Re-focus on your goals, tune into your music, and take it all in – running is meant to be fun!